Tuesday, April 20, 2010

It's A $in

I'm not a fan of Ke$ha - not a real fan, anyway. I actually think aside from her hair, she has a very unkempt look and perhaps I could get an STD just looking at her. What a horrible thing to say, yes, but what can I tell you? She's grody. However, a few days ago I downloaded two of her singles - "Tik Tok" and "Blah Blah Blah", the former after its constant assault on the radio; the latter after watching Kevin of The Kevin and Bean Morning Show on KROQ's parody of just how effing ridiculous she is. And she is. I am not denying that fact.

I write music reviews and feature bands on semi-regular basis - schedule permitting - and as a result am open to new things. A lot of new things, however, sound the same, and Ke$ha is no exception. She's going for an edgy sound that falls short tremendously, causing everyone to write her off as delusional. Perhaps that's her goal? I've streamed the rest of her album Animal elsewhere, and it just gets worse... with the exception of "Backstabber". I don't know what to tell you, but as buzzed-in-the-club music, it works to a degree. Can you tell how confused I am?

That said, the two previously mentioned singles are great walking music - and I walk a lot. It's not necessarily dance music, but it's icky pop, and I don't know what to tell you (yes, I'm aware this is the third time I'm using this phrase) - the tempo for each song is about the same and the songs are so full of air that I can't put any lasting thought into dissecting them. I can't help but smile at how silly it all is, and what "talent" is now defined as. At the same time, her persona reminds me of the Facebook photos of some girls I knew and wanted to be when I was younger. Let's just say that the grass is dry and brown on the other side as far as I'm concerned. Ugh. Greasy hot mess.

Ke$ha needs to stay in the studio and never come out. (Some people might object to the first portion of that statement, but I digress.) If she were some faceless individual I might be able to tolerate what she and her people are going for, but the fact that she comes out trying to be an actual performer is what's sad and embarrassing. The troll belongs under the bridge. And that's all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment