Monday, August 16, 2010

More Cycling Thoughts

-School starts up next week and I have to say that I am super stoked about riding my bicycle there and back every day. Not that I don't do enough of that already, but for some reason I feel super cool on my bicycle. Not just being on my bicycle, but being a chick on a bicycle. I know I notice when women are on bikes. There's just something take-charge about a woman who rides in/with traffic. It smells of little to no fear.

-I haven't been working out too much lately, and I can tell you, there is a difference felt, more so than gaining weight. To be honest, I haven't gained weight at all - at least not fat. Definitely not muscle. But I feel more loose, more sluggish... I feel under-worked. It is nice to feel strong, and cycling (and running) has assisted me in feeling and looking strong this year. It's time to work it back into my schedule in a recreational, challenging way. A taut me is a happier me.

-I want to send out a heartfelt thank you to Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa for holding the bike summit at One Gateway Plaza today. A lot of issues were expressed about and it seems that there will be forward movement as far as the cycling community is concerned. Once again, I'm sorry for your accident a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if the accident was really what spurned on this action or not, but as a fellow cyclist, I'm sure you're more than well aware of the dangers we all face in riding the streets. It is of wonderful news that bicycling infrastructure will greatly improve by 2015. Suffice it to say that the overall awareness is appreciated, and that perhaps everyone - pedestrians, drivers, and fellow cyclists - will be made more well-aware of the many kinds of cyclists in our community and how we all should be considerate in the way we share the road.

-My friend Ash pointed me in the direction of these great shop rides hosted by Flying Pigeon in Los Angeles. They both sound great, but I haven't had dim sum in a while and would be down for trying the "Get Sum Dim Sum Ride". Looks like the next one is on September 19th, but I'll post an update on the ride close to when it rolls around.

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to some interesting posts about your rides to and from school. I know you'll be feeling back to normal after a few more good rides.


    Darryl

    ReplyDelete