Monday, February 1, 2010

Remain Seated Please

I found the bicycle parking at Disneyland yesterday.

On the east side of the Resort towards the hotel trams and to the far right of the dog kennels there lies - well, not a ton of bike parking, but enough for the one in 2,000 people (or less) who might ride their bicycle to the Happiest Place on Earth.

Disneyland is approximately 48 miles from where I live. I have biked a half-century (50 miles) before, and from Azusa to Long Beach (approximately 59 miles), so the idea of bicycling to Disneyland isn't that far a stretch. With my friends' friendly competition for the month of January having come to a recent close, I for sure know that I am comfortable in riding relatively long distances, having cycled at times almost 40 miles a day. I only hope to be riding a lot more during the month of February.

I just don't know at this point of anything more than 60 miles in a day. With the round-trip distance to the Disneyland Resort totaling nearly 100 miles... well, let's just say that I've not yet trained for a century or greater. It's not that I couldn't or wouldn't do it. I would never have thought I'd have ridden my bike to the city of Paramount from Griffith Park, or across the way from the Queen Mary herself. I've been inspired by the great weather we've been having lately;. At this point, bicycling to Disneyland is merely a fun thought

Still, 2010 so far has been all about trying something different, or at least working with a new approach instead of the old and stagnant. So here's the deal, then: I will work out a feasible route and set a goal for, say, early spring to ride on down to Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom. (I'm actually a little surprised in perusing teh interwebs that someone hasn't mapped out a route already. Looks like I'm own my own!) Either I'd play at the Park for the day, book a cheap-ish hotel down the street and ride back the following morning, or perhaps I'd have the gumption to ride back the same day. Who knows?

What will be fun this month will be keeping track as to my endurance and overall abilities, and perhaps I will aim at an ambitious act either in late March or early April. Yeah, I may not like being dirty, or tired even, but I'm all about an adventure. And when it comes to Disney, it's nice to know that Walt and I have something positive in common.

Wanna ride with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment