Monday, January 4, 2010

Intro

My name is Lindsey. I'm a Valley girl who likes to ride her bicycle. I've lived in Los Angeles county all of my life. I've gone through two cars and numerous bus passes in the last seven years, but the two most important wheels that have become a staple in my current life are the ones on my bicycle. The benefits of constant cycling have been an easier commute (both regular and impromptu), a slightly better mood, a lot more exercise, and the knowledge that every mile of manpower means lessened pollution. Also, I haven't had to fight for a parking space since 2003.

I'm not going to even pretend to be an expert with bicycle repair. I'm not. As much as I love riding my bicycle, I am still learning to repair a flat tire. I'm pale green in comparison to others when it comes to getting my hands dirty with grease and oil - but as the saying goes, all in due time.

With that said, I do know how to ride. I find that it's important to know how to ride with traffic, and most importantly be seen when on a bike. I'd like to eventually go into practicals such as how to pack for a long ride, or how to be prepared when going to the grocery store, or how/where to lock your bike. But I also hope to take some test rides and documenting them here. For example: riding to the museum. Riding to a job interview. Riding to a venue in West Hollywood on a Saturday night. The possibilities are endless!

Los Angeles is a big place with a lot of things to see, do, and accomplish, and my goal is to help others (and re-affirm to myself) that this too can be done with what resources are available - in this case, a bike. This blog is definitely a work in progress, but I hope to share some adventures with you from the viewpoint of being a normal everyday person cycling in a city that is not necessarily known for its friendliness as much as it is for its forced tolerance. And I hope that you will share with me, too!

Happy cycling~

No comments:

Post a Comment